Construction Industry Worker (CIS) Mortgages
Discover the benefits, drawbacks, and requirements of obtaining a mortgage for a CIS Worker in the United Kingdom
A Comprehensive Guide to Construction Industry Worker (CIS) Mortgages
For many Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) workers in the UK, the prospect of securing a mortgage can seem daunting. Traditional mortgage lenders often have stringent criteria that make it challenging for self-employed or sub-contracted workers to qualify. However, with the increasing demand for flexible mortgage options, many lenders are now offering mortgages specifically tailored to meet the unique needs of CIS workers. In this comprehensive blog post, we'll explore the ins and outs of CIS mortgages, including the pros and cons, and what you need to apply.
What is a Construction Industry Worker (CIS) Mortgage?
A CIS mortgage is a type of home loan designed specifically for individuals who work within the construction industry under the Construction Industry Scheme. This scheme is a UK tax deduction system where contractors deduct money from a subcontractor's payment and pass it on to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). CIS workers include self-employed individuals, sole traders, and subcontractors who may struggle to meet the traditional lending criteria due to their irregular income.
Pros of CIS Mortgages
- Tailored to your unique circumstances: CIS mortgages take into account the unique employment and income circumstances of construction industry workers. Lenders who offer these mortgages understand the irregularities in income and are more likely to consider your gross income instead of your net profit, increasing your chances of qualifying for a mortgage.
- Access to competitive interest rates: Some specialist lenders offer competitive interest rates on CIS mortgages, making them an attractive option for construction workers who may have struggled to secure a traditional mortgage.
- Potential for higher borrowing capacity: By considering your gross income rather than your net profit, CIS mortgages can potentially provide you with a higher borrowing capacity than a traditional mortgage, making it easier to afford the property you desire.
- Flexible repayment options: Depending on the lender, you may be able to access flexible repayment options, such as overpaying or underpaying, to accommodate the fluctuating nature of your income as a CIS worker.
Cons of CIS Mortgages
- Limited availability: Not all mortgage lenders offer CIS mortgages, meaning your options may be more limited compared to those seeking a traditional mortgage. However, there are specialist lenders and brokers who cater specifically to the needs of CIS workers.
- Higher deposit requirements: Due to the perceived higher risk associated with CIS mortgages, some lenders may require a larger deposit, typically ranging from 15-25% of the property value. This can make it more challenging for some CIS workers to save for the required deposit.
- Possible higher interest rates: While there are competitive interest rates available for CIS mortgages, it is possible that you may be subject to higher rates due to the perceived risk associated with irregular income.
- Documentation requirements: To qualify for a CIS mortgage, you will need to provide additional documentation to prove your income and employment status, which can be time-consuming and stressful.
What Do You Need to Apply for a CIS Mortgage?
- Proof of income: You will need to provide evidence of your income as a CIS worker. This may include your CIS vouchers, bank statements, and invoices. Some lenders may require at least 6-12 months of continuous employment in the construction industry.
- Credit history: Just like with any mortgage, lenders will assess your credit history to determine your creditworthiness. Make sure to check your credit report and address any discrepancies before applying for a mortgage.
- Deposit: As mentioned earlier, you may need a larger deposit for a CIS mortgage. Start saving early and explore options such as the Help to Buy scheme to assist with your deposit.
- Identification and address verification: As with any mortgage application, you will need to provide proof of your identity and address. This typically includes a valid passport or driving license and a recent utility bill or bank statement that shows your current address.
- Tax returns: Some lenders may request tax returns or a SA302 form, which is a summary of your income tax calculation, to help verify your income. It is essential to ensure that your tax affairs are up-to-date before applying for a CIS mortgage.
- Bank statements: Lenders will likely request at least three months of bank statements to assess your spending habits and confirm your income. Ensure that your bank statements accurately reflect your income and demonstrate responsible financial management.
- Employment history: A comprehensive employment history may be required, particularly if you have recently switched from being employed to being a CIS worker. Lenders will want to see stability in your work history to ensure that you can maintain mortgage repayments.
- Mortgage affordability assessment: Lenders will conduct a mortgage affordability assessment to determine how much you can borrow based on your income, outgoings, and other financial commitments. This will help to ensure that you can comfortably afford the mortgage repayments.
Tips for Improving Your Chances of Securing a CIS Mortgage
- Maintain a strong credit score: A good credit score will make you a more attractive borrower to lenders. Make sure to pay your bills on time, keep your credit utilization low, and regularly check your credit report for errors.
- Save a larger deposit: A larger deposit will not only improve your chances of securing a mortgage but can also help you access better interest rates. Aim to save at least 15-25% of the property value as a deposit.
- Seek professional advice: Working with a mortgage broker who specializes in CIS mortgages can help you navigate the complexities of the application process and identify the most suitable lenders for your circumstances.
- Keep accurate records: As a CIS worker, it is crucial to maintain accurate records of your income, expenses, and tax returns. This will help to streamline the application process and improve your chances of securing a mortgage.
- Demonstrate financial stability: Lenders want to see that you can manage your finances responsibly. Aim to reduce your existing debts, avoid taking on new credit, and create a budget to help demonstrate your ability to manage your finances effectively.
Securing a mortgage as a Construction Industry Worker (CIS) in the UK can be challenging, but it is not impossible. With tailored CIS mortgages now available from specialist lenders, you can access mortgage options that cater to your unique income and employment circumstances. By understanding the pros and cons of CIS mortgages and preparing the necessary documentation, you can improve your chances of securing a mortgage and achieving your dream of homeownership.
Remember that seeking professional advice from a mortgage broker with experience in CIS mortgages can be invaluable in navigating the application process and finding the most suitable mortgage for your needs. With careful planning and persistence, you can overcome the obstacles and secure a mortgage tailored to your unique circumstances.
WHY USE A MORTGAGE ADVISER?
Dedicated Professional Advice
You will have a named adviser who will get to know you. They are experienced and qualified to provide you with all the help and advice you need throughout the process.
We deal with the banks
No one likes having to deal with the banks. They will almost always ask you questions during your application and we are ideally placed to answer them. Over 15+ Years of experience and 1000's of Mortgage Applications has helped us do this very effectively.
You will never become a number, not like dealing with a bank directly. Having to explain yourself over and over again to whoever picks up the phone. You will deal with us directly, we do all of the heavy lifting.
No waiting on Hold
Our Average hold time is less than 10 seconds. We spend hours on hold to the banks so you don't have to. This could have you hours of time.
Customer Success Stories
In Their Own Words
Greg and his team provided us with a first class service. It was good to have a professional service provided by a local business with a personal touch.
I'm so grateful for all your help the last few months, absolutely outstanding service, Greg always had time to answer any questions I had. I would highly recommend to anyone!
I cannot thank bryony and Leanne enough for all there help dealing with my loan process .
Very quick responding to any questions or problems along the way.
Will definitely be using right loan wales again
Bryony was so amazing, she kept us informed every step of the way. She was always so positive and helpful. She worked efficiently and effectively and was always able to be contacted. If she was busy she would ensure contact at her earliest convenience which was always the same day. From the start she spent the time to get to know our situation as individuals and not just another application. We Would 100% recommend. Thanks Bryony and team.
Bryony and the team at Right Loan Wales were very efficient, responsive and a joy to deal with throughout my dealings with them. I will be recommending them to any friends who need to raise finances.
Bryony Davies of Right Loan Wales provided a most helpful and professional service throughout the application process. The whole team's advice and assistance made the experience very east to navigate form initial application to final offer. I would have no reservations in recommending this business to anyone seeking a loan of this nature.
Buying a house had always seemed unachievable for me, I had built it up to be something so out of reach in my mind I thought that it was something that would take years, if it happened at all! That all changed thanks to the amazing support of the guys at the Money Geeks - I approached them, expecting to be told that it wasn’t possible, and within a couple of weeks I had found my perfect house and had a mortgage offer! The whole process couldn’t have been easier for me (although I was as far away from an easy client as possible), and I can’t thank them enough for what they have done for me and my family! Thank you Greg and Ben! You are true experts - if anyone can make it happen for you, it’s these guys!
From my first meeting with The Money Geeks, I was impressed with the level of professionalism and attention to detail. Their impartial expertise was second to none, and nothing was too much trouble. I will definitely use their services again! Thank you so much for supporting me from the initial advice all the way to completion and my insurances! Highly recommended!
Greg and his team at The Money Geeks were fantastic from start to finish. Greg dealt with our application personally and made what we felt was impossible, possible. We had seen mortgage advisors prior to seeing Greg and we felt we weren’t getting the right advise and guidance. As soon as I approached him he made an appointment with us and offered to call to the house making the whole experience feel slightly less formal and more comforting. He was instantly able to tell us what we needed to do and got us a mortgage offer within days. He has put up with endless nagging and nothing has ever been too much to ask. He was always at the other end of the phone if I needed him and very efficient. And as first time buyers I felt he spoke to us is in real terms helping us understand everything fully. We would highly recommend using The Money Geeks - the best service we could have asked for and money well spent.
Get in touch now